Minnesota Valley Transit Authority (MVTA) is operating on a reduced schedule designed only for essential transportation needs in attempt to limit the spread of Covid-19.
As of March 26, customers using MVTA buses that have rear side doors will be directed to board and depart via the rear doors. Fare is being waived on buses with rear side doors.
Minnesota Valley Transit Agency (MVTA) continues to take preventative steps and has implemented enhanced sanitation efforts in buses and facilities in response to the potential spread of Covid-19. MVTA is closely monitoring information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Minnesota Department of Health.
Changes in effect
MVTA is currently operating on reduced bus schedule for essential trips only (see schedule below).
- In accordance with guidance from the state of Minnesota, all MVTA transit stations and park and ride facilities are being locked and closed to limit public congregating. Free parking areas will remain open at all facilities along with other public amenities, including benches and awnings.
- At Apple Valley Transit Station, the facility closure will require all boarding and departures to occur at outside Bay D.
- Lost and Found service has been suspended to reduce material handling. Anything left on buses as of March 20 will be discarded. Customers are urged to take their belongings with them when they leave buses.
- Seats directly behind the driver compartment also will be closed to passengers and customers are encouraged to space themselves throughout the buses to follow social distancing recommendations from health experts.
- At Cedar Grove Transit Station, all Red Line trips will be routed through the main station.
- Red Line stops at 140th Street and 147th Street in Apple Valley are closed. Customers are directed to access Red Line trips at Apple Valley Transit Station.
The closures will remain in place until further notice.
Enhanced Cleaning and sanitation efforts
MVTA has adopted recommendations from the CDC on enhanced cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting procedures. MVTA also has exceeded those recommendations by implementing a second stage disinfectant and additional cleaning. The following procedures are currently in place:
- MVTA is sanitizing buses before and after bus trips, which includes disinfecting high touch surfaces (stanchions, handholds, and fareboxes).
- The entire bus also is sprayed with a disinfectant with the HVAC operating in accordance with the manufacturer's recommended dilution ratio.
- Paper products have been removed from buses to reduce material handling.
Reduced service schedule
The reduced schedule is similar to a holiday schedule when schools, restaurants, shopping, and some businesses are closed. The schedules have been included in the MVTA Trip Planner at mvta.com to help you with trip alternatives.
Some facilities temporarily close
Several MVTA park and ride facilities previously closed as of March 20 because of the reduced bus service schedule now in effect. Those facilities included: Heart of the City lobby, 157th Street Station, Lakeville Cedar Park and Ride and Eagle Creek Park and Ride.
Schedule effective March 20:
METRO Red Line: Regular weekday schedule, except for trips between 11 p.m.-4:30 a.m., which have been suspended.
Route 420: Regular Weekend service. (No off-route flex service available)
- Southbound trips depart 46th Street Station at 5:48 a.m., 6:18 a.m.
- Northbound trips depart Dodd/Opperman at 3:40 p.m., 5:20 p.m.
Route 440: Regular Weekend service plus additional trips.
- Northbound trips added from Apple Valley Transit Station at 6:04 a.m., 7:34 a.m., to the VA Hospital.
- Southbound trips added from VA Hospital at 4:03 p.m., 5:33 p.m. to Apple Valley Transit Station.
Route 442: Regular Weekend service.
Route 444: Regular Weekend service.
Route 445: Regular Weekend service.
- Northbound trips depart Braddock/Diffley to 46th Street Station hourly from 7:03 a.m. to 7:03 p.m.
- Southbound trips depart 46th Street Station hourly from 6:09 a.m. to 6:09 p.m.
- Northbound trips depart Burnsville Transit Station at 5:50 a.m., 6:22 a.m., 6:44 a.m., 7:06 a.m., 7:39 a.m., 8:05 a.m., 8:30 a.m.
- Southbound trips depart Gateway Ramp to Burnsville Transit Station at 1:35 p.m., 2:26 p.m., 3:06 p.m., 3:36 p.m., 4:07 p.m., 4:38 p.m., 5:08 p.m., and 6:10 p.m.
- Northbound trips depart Apple Valley Transit Station at 5:43a.m., 6:27 a.m., 6:50 a.m., 7:16 a.m., 7:59 a.m.
- Southbound trips depart Gateway Ramp to Apple Valley Transit Station at 12:15 p.m., 1:29 p.m., 2:29 p.m., 3:06 p.m., 4:06 p.m., 4:46 p.m., 5:25 p.m.
- Northbound trips depart Blackhawk Park and Ride at 6:09 a.m., 7 a.m., 7:50 a.m.
- Southbound trips depart Union Depot at 3:35 p.m., 4:15 p.m., 5 p.m.
- All trips serve Blackhawk P&R, Eagan Transit Station and downtown St. Paul only.
- Northbound trips depart Southbridge Park and Ride at 6 a.m., 6:50 a.m., and 7:51 a.m.
- Southbound trips depart Gateway Ramp at 3:11 p.m., 4:26 p.m., 5:20 p.m. and terminate at Southbridge Park and Ride.
Route 495: Regular Weekend service. (Service to Mystic Lake is currently suspended).
- Westbound trips depart Marschall Road Transit Station at 5:40 a.m., 7:40 a.m., 9:40 a.m., 11:40 a.m., 1:40 p.m., 3:40 p.m., 5:40 p.m., 7:40 p.m.
- Eastbound trips depart Town Square Mall at 6:01 a.m., 8:01 a.m., 10:01 a.m., 12:01 p.m., 2:01 p.m., 4:01 p.m., 6:01 p.m., 8:01 p.m.
- Eastbound trips depart Marschall Road Transit Station at 6:40 a.m., 8:40 a.m., 10:40 a.m., 12:40 p.m., 2:40 p.m., 4:40 p.m., 6:40 p.m., 8:40 p.m.
- Westbound trips depart Old Carriage/Wal-Mart at 9:06 a.m., 11:06 a.m., 3:06 p.m., 9:06p and Southbridge Park and Ride at 7:11 a.m., 1:11 p.m., 5:11 p.m., 7:11 p.m.
MVTA Connect: Regular schedule from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
“This modified service plan allows MVTA to operate service out of one garage, which should ensure sufficient staffing for routes and bus sanitization,” said MVTA Chief Operating Officer Samantha Porter.
Routes not operating/alternatives
Route 421: Not Operating (Riders may use MVTA Connect)
Route 426: Not Operating (Riders may use MVTA Connect)
Route 464: Not Operating. (Service to Minneapolis available via Route 460)
Route 465U: Not Operating (Traveling to U of M? Board Route 460, exit at 6th Street in Minneapolis, transfer to Eastbound Green Line Train to U of M)
Route 470: Not Operating (Riders may board northbound Route 446 to 46th Street Station, transfer to Blue Line Train to downtown Minneapolis)
Route 472: Not Operating (Riders may board northbound Red Line, Route 444 or 446, transfer to Blue Line Train to downtown Minneapolis)
Route 475U: Not Operating (Riders may board Route 477 to 6th Street, transfer to Green Line Train to U of M)
Route 476: Not Operating (Service to Minneapolis available via Express Route 477 at Apple Valley Transit Station or Red Line to Mall of America, transfer to Blue Line Train)
Route 478: Not Operating (Service to Minneapolis available via Express Route 477 at Apple Valley Transit Station or Red Line to Mall of America, transfer to Blue Line Train)
Route 479: Not Operating (Service to Minneapolis available via Express Route 477 at Apple Valley Transit Station or Red Line to Mall of America, transfer to Blue Line Train)
Route 484: Not Operating (Service available via Route 480 at Blackhawk Park and Ride)
Route 491: Not Operating (Service available via Express Route 495/Blue Line Train)
Route 492: Not Operating (Service available via Express Route 495/Blue Line Train at Mall of America or 495 to Burnsville Transit Station, connect to Route 460)
Route 493: Not Operating (Service to Minneapolis available via Route 490 from Southbridge Crossings Park and Ride)
MVTA appreciates your patience and we will provide updates at mvta.com when schedules are updated and facilities reopen.
Latest News & Events